Payments Received on a Ponzi Scheme

Investor Claims Is What We Do - All Day, Every Day

Since 1999 our law firm has recovered more than $350,000,000 for victims of investment fraud and misconduct.
  • Jury Verdict Won Against Prudential Securities $262 Million
  • Recovered for 100-Year Old Widow $30 Million
  • Recovered in Retirement Losses $10 Million
  • Recovered for a Large Group of Individual Investors $6.5 Million
  • Recovered for Elderly Victim in Ponzi Scheme Case $3.8 Million
  • Recovered for Elderly Ponzi Scheme Victim $3.2 Million
  • Recovered for More Than 50 Families of Ponzi Scheme in California $3.2 Million
  • Recovered for 35 Families in Northeast Ohio $3.1 Million
  • Losses Recovered for 20 Retirees $3 Million
  • Recovered for Retired Physician Against Major Wall Street Firm Prior to Filing FINRA Arbitration $2.5 Million

I Received Some Payments From an Investment That Later Turned Out to Be a Ponzi Scheme. What Happens to Me?

Before I answer your question, I strongly encourage you to speak directly with a Ponzi scheme attorney. Because Ponzi scheme cases can be so complicated, it’s impossible to offer practical guidance without more information about the specifics of your situation.

However, in general, what happens to you will depend on many factors, including whether you received more than you invested, when you invested or received returns, and what happens during the potential criminal investigation. In some cases, if you did not receive more than you invested in the Ponzi scheme, you may be able to further pursue your remaining losses through mediation, arbitration, or litigation proceedings against the broker, financial advisor, or brokerage firm that promoted the scheme. In cases where you have received more than you invested, you may be asked to forfeit some or all of the proceeds to help others in recovering their losses from the scam in the criminal case even though you are innocent and were unaware of the fraud.

It's important to remember that even experienced investors can be taken in by investment scams like Ponzi schemes.

One of the best actions you can take in a situation like this is to gather any documents and information you have about the Ponzi scheme, including your communications with the Ponzi scheme promoter, your account statements, and other materials related to the alleged investment or investment company involved in the scheme. After that, you should consider reaching out to an experienced Ponzi scheme attorney for further legal guidance.

If you need help, you can schedule a completely free and confidential case evaluation with one of our securities fraud attorneys today. Just give us a call or fill our online contact form for more information.

Attorney David Meyer has published a post for the American Bar Association regarding the aftermath of a Ponzi scheme. You can read the article by clicking here.

The Meyer Wilson Way

Results-Focused Representation
  • More than $350,000,000 Recovered
  • Voted Best Lawyers in America┬« for over Ten Years Running
  • David Meyer is the Immediate Past-President of Public Investors Advocate Bar Association (PIABA)
  • Over a Thousand Investor Claim Cases Since 1999
  • Exclusive Focus on Investor Claims & Class/Mass Action Lawsuits
  • Deep Bench of Skilled Attorneys and Staff Members


Meyer Wilson has represented over 1,000 individual investors in high-stakes claims across the country, and has recovered over $350 million on their behalves. See what former clients have to say about our team.

  • “I primarily worked with Courtney Werning throughout the process and she was informative and knowledgeable. I trusted and fully recommend Courtney and her team.”

    - S.R.
  • “The communication throughout the process was on par - and they took the time to indulge me with the various questions and opinions.”

    - R.G.
  • “What I truly appreciated was getting a great result for my Mom with limited involvement/stress on her.”

    - S.W.
  • “We went to arbitration with the other respondent and I got to see firsthand the level of professionalism and expertise the Meyer Wilson firm can deliver.”

    - D.V.
  • “Chad would take the time to call and talk with me. His explanations were always clear and concise. I also appreciate all the effort put into the details and statistics required to argue this case.”

    - P.N.
  • “Meyer Wilson was able to produce the results that we felt were obvious and warranted while several other firms and even state offices simply had trouble understanding let alone moving the case forward.”

    - B.K.
  • “My overall experience was positive and I would encourage anyone who even thinks they have been a victim of stockbroker misconduct to call David.”

    - S.T.
  • “Meyer Wilson represented me in a suit brought last year against my brokerage firm, securing a very fair and equitable settlement for me.”

    - R.G., M.D.
  • “Right from the start, you had the passion and desire to win this case for us. I have never worked with an attorney or firm as compassionate as yours. I would highly recommend your firm to anyone.”

    - G.A.

Talk to Our Team

Get Started with a Free Evaluation
  • Please enter your first name.
  • Please enter your last name.
  • Please enter your phone number.
    This isn't a valid phone number.
  • Please enter your email address.
    This isn't a valid email address.
  • Please enter the name of the investment firm.
  • Please enter your preferred contact method.
  • Please enter how much you lost.
  • Please make a selection.
  • Please enter a message.