Worried about investment scams? An investment scam lawyer offers a few basic steps you can take to review a new investment and protect yourself from financial fraud.
The easiest way to avoid investment fraud is to take the time to carefully research each investment before you hand over your cash. Before you decide to invest, here are a few simple steps you can take to check out a new investment:
- Review all documents you are given and obtain additional information. Spend a little time reviewing any documents you were given and seek out other information, such as company news, annuals reports, etc.
- Verify what you were told about the investment. Compare what you were told by the promoter against information you have about the investment, the promoter, and the investment strategy.
- Make sure the person promoting the investment is licensed to do so. Check up on the broker or adviser offering the investment by checking with state and federal regulators. Both FINRA and the SEC offer free online investment tools to help you do this.
- Learn about and carefully consider all risks associated with the investment. Once you have verified the basics, it’s time to consider all of the risks associated with the investment. Make sure you understand what happens in both a best- and worst-case scenario.
- Ask yourself if the investment is right for your financial goals and situation. Does the investment fit with your current means and future financial goals? Consider discussing it with another trusted financial professional.
To learn more about spotting an investment scam, please request your FREE copy of our book Five Signs of Investment Fraud …And What to Do if It’s Happened to You.
If you believe that you have already lost money in an investment scam, please reach out to an experienced investment scam lawyer with Meyer Wilson. Our investment fraud lawyers have represented more than 800 fraud victims across the nation in stockbroker mediation, arbitration, and litigation, and we look forward to putting our skills and experience to work for you. Give us a call today or fill out our confidential online contact form for more information.